My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

Wednesday 11 June 2014

Poem: Nightmare


I have suffered with nightmare's practically my entire life.
As a child, I thought that it might slowly cease to be the older I got, but alas, it has not, and instead, has only become more frequent and more graphic. I have nightmares approximately twice a week now, and so, because nightmares have always been and continue to be a big chunk of my life, I have decided to write a poem about it.


This blackness to which I go

When my eyes close

Omnipresent, omnipotent

Reaching, snatching me-

Because it must

Or else I won’t go

 

My unconscious arms flailing

Anxiously fighting the fall

Forceful, battling

Warmongering, resisting it

Until I can no more

I watch myself sinking

 

So often does this happen,

Essentially every day

Sweltering, consolatory

Inviting, luring me

I long the slumber

And regrettably, I surrender

 

Mockeries are the surrounds

Mimicking onscreen horrors

Illusory, phantasmal

Raspy, snickering taunts

They only want me

Purposefully wanting to ruin

 

Both in my coma and conscious

I feel my terror rushing

Internal, external

Anxious, paralyzed sobs

Seeking shelter from this

Nightmare I cannot escape

 

Willing with all I have within

Pleading for the powers

Fearful, desperate

Haggling, promises made

The need to be woken at once

Unable to accept more

 

Jerking, sitting upright, alert

As if pushed from hell

Putrid, a coward

Clammy, frozen sweat

A tear away from breaking down

A sleep away from hell

I am not sure what the meaning of nightmares are or why some people, like myself, have to suffer with them when others have the luxury of actually sleeping, without dreams.
I would love to know if anybody knows why or if anybody out there suffers with nightmares as much as I do.

Anyway, I hope you liked the poem, and feel free to let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment