My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

Monday 19 May 2014

Live In Your Skin (And Love Every Moment of it)



I remember a girl who went by the name of Gucci. I met her when I was about twelve-years old.

I don’t know if Gucci was her real name, or if it was a pseudonym she’d given herself, but I liked it; it somehow suited her.

Now, she was not the prettiest girl I’d ever seen, but she oozed this confidence that just rocked the socks off everyone she came into contact with.

No lie, this girl was just that person who is naturally adored by everyone. She didn’t have a strut, per se, but she did – if you know what I mean – with her head held high, she was outgoing and friendly, laughing loudly at any old thing with her head thrown back, calling everyone ‘sweetie’, interested in anything that anybody was speaking about, gently resting her hand on your shoulder during every conversation she had; just plain charismatic.

Me, being shy and withdrawn, and never really sure of myself, would watch her in admiration, blushing profusely when she noticed – she often did and would then come over and say something like, ‘Look at how pretty you are sitting over here, you sweet little thing’, and I would want to purr against her hand, wanting all of her approval, embarrassingly ridiculous – wanting so badly to be this girl called Gucci!

 

Somewhere along the way, I think that my mind, or my heart – whichever can truly be held responsible – caused my admiration for these women to transform into me imitating them.

I found myself looking up to all sorts of women who exuded confidence, with an intense desire to be confident within myself.

I don’t think that drawing inspiration from another human is a bad thing; in fact, I think it’s wonderful to find something within a fellow human that brings out the desire to better oneself.

The problem, however, was that in my admiration, I was not, in reality, working on bettering myself.

Instead, I was becoming a copy of the women I looked up to. I tried to dress like them, I used phrases that I heard them say, I tried to be them, and let’s just be honest- doing this just made me ever the more miserable.

 

Here’s the thing: you can’t be like anybody else.

You can look up to someone and love what she does, what she represents, how she dresses, the way she speaks, and even how she looks, but unless you’re only giving her your stamp of approval and giving credit where credit is due, you’re bound to fail.

You see, the fact and reality of the matter is that you will never be able to be the person you look up to. You will never achieve exactly what she achieved, you will never do things in exactly the way she did it, you will never look exactly the way she looks in any outfit, you will never speak or look like her, and you will definitely never get her stamp of approval or respect.

Why?

Here’s why: while imitation may be the best form of flattery, at the end of the day, nobody really knows who you even are if all you do is about someone else. Nobody knows the real you; nobody knows what aspect about you is authentic! And there is no way that you can ever do someone else better than they can. Nobody can respect what they don’t know, including YOU!

 

The whole issue reminds me of a time when I was younger, and our class was given an art assignment to create a collage. We all did our best, but many of kids just didn’t do as good of a job as some of the others, in much the same way as when we were given writing assignments, and many just exceled.

You see, we all have our own talent and our own ‘thing’ that makes us exactly who we are.

I could see that my collage was good, I was good at sport, but I was not extraordinary like some of the other kids, and it would have been sad if I had just strived continuously to be as good as the others when it was just not my niche, not my ‘thing’.

And so I discovered just how frustrating it is to try and morph myself into being another confident woman when the confidence was not mine. I mean logically, how could I ever know exactly what it was that gave her that air of confidence if it wasn’t mine? And how could I be confident in myself if I didn’t know what it is about me that allows me stand out and be different from everyone else if I kept trying to be the confidence that belonged to someone else?

 

I see so many young girls and even young adult women who are looking up to these celebrities, trying to imitate what they see on TV shows and music videos.

I see these females trying to dress like these celebrities, using little phrases that they hear their idol using, and the imitations-list can go on and on.

I think I can even take it as far as when these women get into relationships and even in their friendships, when it doesn’t work out, it’s such a surprise, but honestly, they were not themselves to begin with, and so only snippets of who they were, were given in the relationship, when perhaps if they’d been real throughout, there might have been an entirely different outcome.

 

To be honest, I grew tired of trying to be like the other confident women I came into contact with when I met too many of them. I met too many strong, self-assured women to decide which one I most wanted to be like, and that was when I truly woke up and realized just how much of a difficult time I was giving myself; just how I was setting my entire existence up for complete failure.

 

It took a lot of searching for me to find the person I really am (because of how many years I had been trying to be someone else I thought was better than who I really was at my core) but since I have, the amount of peace I feel inside is indescribable, not to mention the excitement I have for what is yet to come!

I still look up to people who really are inspirational, but instead of trying to be that element which appeals to me, I find what it is about it that I feel connected with, and hone in on that.

I know what works for me now, I know what clothes, music, style, scene and lifestyle suits me, and this brings a sense of comfort into my life. I am far from how frustrated I used to be because I know my story, and I know how to reach my own full potential, knowing how comparing myself to someone else is nothing but futile.

 

I thought back on Gucci when I finally made my breakthrough, and I realized that her confidence was purely based on her being comfortable in her own skin – flaws and all – and she knew exactly what she wanted from life. Hell, she LOVED herself!

Gucci was on to something even back then; what’s more logical than that?

 
- Yentl. T. De Luna

No comments:

Post a Comment