My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

Monday 4 August 2014

Because I Was Never Mine (Book One, Chapter One)

"I Know You Are But What Am I?"- Book One, Chapter One

I have decided to start a kind of series, but in writing. It will basically be a book, but I will publish daily, or whenever I can, which can be read on my blog as I go along, which will almost be like watching a television series, except it will be read. I have called the series "Because I Was Never Mine". It is based on a girl with a very disturbing background, following her past, her relationships and her life, and how her experiences makes her who she is in her day-to-day life.
I do hope that you enjoy, and please feel free to leave comments.

- Yentl. T. De Luna


I feel as if I was born watching; observing.

My entire life is made up of this. I watch, and I feel.

It’s kind of peculiar, in my opinion, the way I am labelled ‘cold’ and ‘detached’, ‘emotionless’, considering the way I do everything based solely on emotion. I act in passion. I act out of care. I act out of feeling.

In the very beginning – when I was a little girl – I used to hear the people around me, talk about me. They said that I was born mature, an ‘old soul’; they said my eyes told stories of the life I had been exposed to, even before birth, which resulted in my inability to feel.

They never knew how their words hurt me. They never knew anything about me, because I never told.

                                                               ***************** 

Every Friday evening, I go to the merchant (drug dealer), in the middle of the scummiest part of Woodstock, Cape Town.

He expects me. He knows my single, loud knock. He never opens the door himself; instead, he sends his ‘runner’, Kadir. Kadir thinks we’re friends, which is quite fine with me – whatever makes him feel a bit better about the life that he has chosen to live, whatever makes him feel some sort of warmth, it’s ok – just so long I know that I don’t have friends. I don’t trust a soul, and friendship means trust.

Every week they will offer me a hit of crystal meth, and I always say no; just like I always say no to the heroin they offer, or the marijuana they’ve laced. I say no because I was born high, and my life feels like one long, confusing see-saw of being just that, with consistent downers.

I don’t need drugs.

The house is small, and I hate how much it looks like what it is – a drug den – painted a vomit-green that is darker in some areas and lighter in others, one of the front windows broken and covered with a black refuse bag, dirty and dangerous.

Even worse is the smell- damp, fungal, nauseating and sickly, added to the unmistakable odours of the burning of a combination of drugs.

I hate the house. I hate it, but I have to go.

She always looks happy to see me, even when her face is contorted in the pain that is the result of years of drug use.

“Talia!” she’ll exclaim, each time, and she’ll smile as best she can, exposing a mouth that seems to lose tooth after tooth; and I will smile back at her.

She never lets me leave until I have spent at least two hours with her. She misses me, she says. And even though it makes no sense in some ways, it does in others, so I understand. In fact, I feel the same. I miss her, and I want to spend time with her. It’s just the house. I just don’t like the house.

When I leave, I have the stink of drugs and sickness on me, and while it makes me sick, it’s also comforting. I sometimes wonder if I go back more for her, or more for the comfort that that stink gives me.

I was young, but it’s familiar all the same.

                                                        *************************** 

I am now twenty-two years old, but when I was younger – teenage years – I used to tell my parents (foster), that I was going to see a movie, or to visit a ‘friend’, to go to that house.

My foster parents didn’t seem to care much about me wanting to go anywhere; they never asked any questions, and on some level, it made me feel worthless. On some level I wanted them to care, to enquire about where I was going, who my ‘friend’ was- anything to indicate that they cared about my life. Up until I was eighteen years old, I wondered if they would want me beyond that age, or if they were just fulfilling their duties as foster parents by providing for me. In all honesty, it hurt when I realized the latter was true. But I never showed them. I don’t show my pain; it’s weak.

After Kadir opened the door back then, she would come running to me with open arms, her eyes sparkling, and high as a kite.

She’d call me her baby, rock me back and forth after making a scene about how my foster parents weren’t caring for me properly, and tell me that I was brave, that she was proud of all the effort I made to see her; squash my face between her hands and tell me that nobody loves me like she does, asking me to tell her I know, over and over again, that nobody could love me the way she does. I’d tell her what she wanted to hear, tears in my eyes, unsure of whether or not it was true. Unsure, because if she did, why couldn’t she get her act together and be to me what she should have been all along.

I got over it eventually, getting to a point where I could tell her what she wanted to hear – make her feel better – without my eyes welling up like a toddler’s would, because I was no longer a child, and so I had to put away childish things, like the Sunday school teacher once read to our class from the Bible.

Sometimes she would disgust me with her neediness. Sometimes I was a mouthful of saliva away from spitting in her face. Sometimes I hated her so much for being so selfish, always putting her needs before mine, but those moments never lasted for very long, because I was born selfless. I was born with this ‘knowing’ that I had to be there for myself or I would die even more than I was already dying inside.

I started smoking cigarettes when I was fourteen-years old, and on one visit, I went to stand in the backyard (a small square that was only grey with sand and breaking concrete) to have a smoke. Kadir joined me, and we stood there, taking long drags almost simultaneously, like we were having a Who-can-blow-out-the-most-smoke contest, eventually getting lightheaded from it.

“She talks about you all the time, you know?” he said to me as we sat down in the middle of the ugliness.

“Yes, I know.”

“And she really loves you,” he continued; I could hear that he felt awkward.

“Whatever Kadir, like this is way too much of an emotional trip for me to handle right now, especially since it’s coming from you. Can we please just smoke and then go back inside?”

I think he sighed, presumably with relief.

I didn’t say goodbye to her after going back inside. I just left.

                                                                    *******************

I love deeply, yet ironically, every last one of my relationships seems to have a certain ‘empty’ element.

I’m not sure what’s more weird- me loving deeply despite not being loved back in the same way, or the way I am willing to accept that less-than-perfect relationship just for the sake of getting even a single scrap of compassion from another. The very dynamic of my relationships, in it, is something that is very difficult to comprehend, even slightly.

I often wonder if I am the problem behind the emptiness in my relationships; if I am the component that blocks out any kind of emotional intensity- perhaps because it frightens me, due to the unfamiliarity.

Other times I tell myself that I am not worthy of love, and while I may love another to a point of psychopathy, it will never be reciprocated, because of my unworthiness.

And while the latter brings the most pain, it also brings me a level of comfort. It feels more sensible because it would explain everything from the very moment of birth, to the very last second of pondering; there is nothing that I can do about it, because it is who I am- not good enough.

The problem is that I want to be good enough. I strive to be good enough. I’ll do practically anything to be good enough.

                                                                **********************

I play games with people. It’s a rather hurtful game, which I play unconsciously; I don’t even know that I am doing it, until the game is finished.

My shyness would, upon meeting me, seem sweet and endearing. I am naturally shy; I am tough, but I am shy.

Yes, upon meeting me, the person shaking my hand might find me to be charming, peculiar in a delightful way, maybe even fragile; the common denominator is that every person that I have come into contact with, has wanted to get to know me better, become close to me, care for me and have me care for them, they always want to befriend me. But then they get to know me a little better, and the dynamics somehow change. The thing is, though, that the dynamics will only change if I either allow it to, or if I become sloppy and careless in our exchanges.

There is a reason behind everything that I do. Every one of my three sets of foster parents has labelled me ‘manipulative’. Of course, I would have to disagree. I disagree because while there might be a reason behind my actions, they are very rarely calculated or well-thought out. As I have said, I act upon feeling and emotion, and very often, on impulse.

I hate the game I play, but I have to play it. I loathe the game because I always lose control of it, and the game ends up playing me.

I don’t know who loses the game - me or the person I am playing with – because the other person always seems extremely hurt and distraught, but then again, nobody knows the depth of my pain; and so the loser can never truly be established.

                                                              *****************************

I was nine-years old when I was placed into foster care.

They were family - my mother’s sister, her husband, and their two sons (one of whom was my age, and the other, three years younger) – by blood, but absolutely nothing in terms of emotional connection.

I could tell that my aunt would rather have a cannibal in her home than have me there, and that’s when I decided that she would never be a friend to me, which in my mind, was her loss entirely.

She was always busy with cooking, baking (to impress her turd of a husband), lazing about on the red L-shaped velvet couch in the lounge reading love story after love story, eating all sorts of sugary deserts she bought with her husband’s credit card, or trying to jog off the calories she had ingested, so her dislike for me hardly got enough time to be expressed.

When I first moved in, I was filled with optimistic ideas I now cringe recalling. I thought that I would get along fabulously with my cousin, since we were the same age. I dreamed that she would welcome me into her home and more so, into her life, as the daughter she had always dreamed of having. I imagined helping her in the kitchen with phony smiles pasted onto our corny faces, playing Happy Families, me singing along when she played the piano, her brushing my hair each evening before going to bed. Alas, it was not to be. It was not to be, from the very first night of my arrival into their home that sat atop of a hill, nestled into a beautiful, leafy and wealthy neighbourhood.

Her son, Kevin, was her favourite, and she believed everything he said. She believed him, even when he lied, and she never gave me a chance to speak.

“I’m going to tell my mother that your dirty feet made marks on this wall,” Kevin hissed at me in the dim passage where we were climbing the walls using our hands and feet one late Sunday afternoon.

“But I didn’t,” I whined. I didn’t want to get into trouble, especially if I had done nothing wrong.

“She didn’t do it, Kevin,” Julian, his younger brother mumbled, “you did.”

“Who asked you?” Kevin’s face contorted into an ugly sneer as he made his way towards Julian, his arms outstretched.

I had him against the wall in seconds, my fingers tight around his neck, squeezing, and squeezing, going tighter and tighter as his face turned more and more red. Julian didn’t say a thing, didn’t move.
The door that led to the kitchen was closed, and I could hear the sound of her opening and closing drawers and pots. Suddenly everything went quiet and I heard her footsteps come closer, and closer.
I released.
By the time the door opened, we were all pretending to climb up the walls of the passage, pretending as if nothing happened.
But what happened that day was that my cousins knew that I wasn’t a weak punching bag.
And I knew that I would do anything to be left alone. I knew that I would do anything for someone else who is in danger. I would do anything, even kill.
                               
                                                            ***************************

No comments:

Post a Comment