My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

My thoughts, my life, my world- in words

Tuesday 22 April 2014

When The Going Gets Tough...

I cannot account for other writers. But I know myself.

Sometimes, I feel things too deeply, and I analyze things in too much detail and everything just feels muddled, which leaves me broody and listless; I end up feeling so drained, that I cannot even bear the thought of putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).

When the new year started, I felt differently, almost like some kind of awakening. I hadn't achieved much in terms of my writing. I had piles of word documents on my desktop, stacks of papers scattered around, of writing which I had never completed- for various reasons, such as:
* feeling as though I have no support from the people around me
* worrying that I might invest all of my time into writing something that might never get published
* wondering if there is even a market in my country (South Africa), especially for young writers who have no yet established a name for themselves
* procrastinating (to be honest)
* doubting my abilities
* becoming overwhelmed by my emotions or by the events of my life.

I decided to change. I mean, eventually, something's got to give (as the saying goes).

I mean, let's be realistic:

* Yes, perhaps there is no support from the people around me, but there are people who understand somewhere out there (like online)
* worrying gets nobody nowhere and I would definitely not be published if I didn't, in any way, at least try
* if there is currently no market, you can create a market, and the only way you can establish a name for yourself is by producing work
* we all know what procrastination is the thief of... and the clock is ticking...
* we all have doubts here and there, but if you have a gut feeling about something and you believe in yourself and enjoy what you do, there will be people who note this and you will eventually find followers. Also, honing your skills requires dedication to your art
* we all become overwhelmed by our daily lives every now and then, but the important thing is to not let it control your life.

And so I made a decision that no matter what, I would dedicate time to my writing with absolutely no excuses, not even 'being too tired', even if it was just an hour's writing or 1000 words.
To my surprise, I realized that when I did it, I didn't even notice the time going by, and I always went beyond  the 1000 words. And that's how it goes when you pick up what you're passionate about and refuse life to take control.

I think that it's important to find a circle of people (whether in real life or online) who understand your passion and encourage you.
It's important to find likeminded individuals who will support your endeavors.
It's important to make friends, acquaintances and even find a mentor, who will check up on you, see your growth and from whom you can draw strength and inspiration.

Bu whatever you do, just write!

No comments:

Post a Comment